Sunday, January 17, 2010

December UK

The circus ‘show’ stops for 5 weeks over December and into January so a large chunk of people have time off. Though quite a few people have to work right up to the last minute. To make the most of the time we decided to come home for Christmas.

The plan was to travel all over the place and catch up with friends and family which we did fairly well though it had to be worked around Willow who wanted to go back to school. Luckily Willows old school managed to squeeze her back into her old class for the 2 weeks and 2 days that school was open before it broke for the Christmas holiday. She loved being back at school and slotted in straight away like she had never been away. Her school friends seemed pleased to see her as well as teachers and staff. I though her last day at school may have been a bit tough but there was snow on the ground that seemed to distract her.

We had a bit of a busman’s holiday while we were home but mainly so we could catch up with friends who were on various Christmas Circuses. We saw Happys, Zippos and Lawsons though they all had Christmas feel names to them. I thought we would have fitted in a few pantos for the same reason, but most of the people we knew were performing a little bit too far away to travel to in the bad weather.

We managed to get up to London a few times and caught up with lots of friends, some that I hadn’t seen for ages. While we were there we went and saw Arturo Brachetti,s new show called Change which was great. I had seen one of his shows on DVD before and it was nice to see him live. We met him afterwards and he seemed really nice.



We also had a few trips to the Cotswolds to visit the Gifford’s mob and it felt very like home which is probably why the one trip turned into a few more. I would have liked to have stayed longer, or should that just be I would have liked to have stayed.

This year was the first Christmas that we have been home (well at my Mum and Dads) for quite a few years. It was also the first time Willow had ever been at her old school at Christmas. This is usually the time of year when we are off living somewhere else in the country as it is Panto time. My Mum and Dad are known to go a little bit over the top at Christmas. A little, ha that is such an understatement. They go completely over board and it was not toned down any just because we were staying. It was great staying at my old home, though I did worry that me and my mum may squabble just a wee bit but Christmas miracles we did not have one argument which was great. Tweedys Mum and Dad also came down from Scotland to spend Christmas with us so it was great to have most of the family together for once.

I also loved having my dog back, we have all missed her so much, especially Willow who has never known life without her. I did wonder if after a year my Mum’s temporary position as top dog would now be permanent but I didn’t need to worry as my position in the pack seemed to hold fast and was re-instated within 3 steps in the door.

There was a bit of snow while we were home, not too much just enough to make us wonder if Tweedys Mum and Dad would manage to get down and enough for a car to crash into our hire car on the M27, which was already our 2nd car. I think there is a saying never trust a clown with a car actually I don’t think there is but there should be.

I thought our time at home would have flown by so fast and I would have not wanted to go back to America. It was strange though, I loved being home, we crammed in so much but it was only the last few days that really flew by and even though I knew I would miss everyone I was quite happy to come back.

* Oh and I didn't take nearly enough photos while we were home *

No comments: