Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Las Vegas

So many people either went by road or flew to Las Vegas to get an extra day partying. We did think about it briefly but so glad we didn't, the train run was amazing and we also got in a day earlier than expected once again. So much nothingness dotted with old deserted mining equipment, the occasional small town with motels from films long ago and a tire swing in the middle of nowhere!



So in Las Vegas there are certain things most people do. Number one is gambling and I'm happy to say none of my money went that way. I am surprised the amount of slots there are here, I was expecting a higher percentage of tables. Slots are everywhere and I mean everywhere.

Drinking and partying is another common pass time and again we skipped that one. We didn't really visit any bars as it isn't really that much fun with a little one in tow. We did have a frozen hot chocolate though, and as nice as it was it is basically a thick shake in disguise.

We also managed to fit in a few shows the main one being Cirques 'O'. I enjoyed it but I think the late nights and not realising late nights are meant to be followed by a lie in, Willow was a little sleepy during it. We also saw The Mac King Magic show which was lots of fun, I think Willow probably enjoyed this more than 'O' she didn't really get the the spectacle of it all. The show that she loved the most though was Popovich Comedy Pet Theater. I knew she would love it and she was sold as soon as the first dog ran up to the mic and made the opening announcement for the show to begin.

One good thing about Las Vegas is the amount of free stuff there is to do. There was a lot of things we didn't manage to do or see but still lots we did.



We had our second visit to a M&M world only one more to go I think.

The Mirage volcano eruption was pretty good with fireworks and lit water explosions. We watched a little away from the action as Willow wasn't sure about a volcano erupting but you still got a good view.

The Eiffel Tower is meant to be built to half size, maybe I was a lot smaller when I saw the real thing as I'm sure it was more than double the Las Vegas one.



The Sirens of Treasure Island may have been better if you where closer to the action but it wasn't that great from where we saw it. Just show us the fireworks and sink the ship already!

The Fountains of Bellagio set to music were really pretty and because we watched on a windy day was also quite refreshing.



The Fall of Atlantis in Caesars palace Forum Shops looked interesting but it was a bit dark for Willow and she wasn't feeling 100% when we started watching it so we didn't see all of it. The fish tanks next to it were really nice though. The actually shopping center was really nice too, shame there were no shops of interest to us apart from the toy shop.

We were living closer to Downtown than the strip but only got over there on the last night. This is where the original Las Vegas was born and Fremont Street is the main area with the Fremont experience (a big screen of lights on the roof) which was OK but over very quickly. They also had stages with bands playing and they had tried to recreate a 60's feel to the place calling it 'Summer of 69'. I doubt it is what it was really like but it was quite a fun atmosphere and free.



The main 'great' thing about Vegas is we had friends fly over from the UK to visit. The sort of friends that within seconds of meeting it is just like you saw them yesterday even though it has been over half a year. And they were staying at a hotel with a pool which made Willow very happy.

Oh and I forgot to mention the heat, it is really really hot in Vegas even in the shade. Think hot and then some, it is in the desert after all.

So did Vegas live up to all the hype? Actually no, it just reminded me of a large scale Blackpool, glitzed up a bit. I did enjoy myself but if you take away the spectacle of the shows there really wasn't that much there for me. Recently I have been leaving cities thinking I could have spent a few more days and I'm sure it would be different if we where here on holiday with a holiday budget, but I'm more than happy to be leaving Las Vegas.

No comments: